Sunday, September 18, 2016

Hop Bomb

I should call this one my "dregs IPA", as the partial mash is made up of a bunch of small portions of different malts I had sitting around.  For example, I'd get a pound of Munich for a recipe and only use 10 oz, or I'd have some other malt sitting around.  It turns out that when I combined the small portions, I had a pound of malt, so I just added 2 oz of CaraPils to that and now I have a partial mash ready to go!  Admittedly, it's a bit more malt than I usually use, but this time, I'm going to hit the hop stand with a pretty massive amount of hops (for the batch size).  And to do that, I decided to use up the rest of the LemonDrop hops I had from the EverLong IPS I brewed a bit ago (which is still very good, by the way).

Brew Day: 18 Sept 2016

Partial Mash:
6 oz Munich
4.5 oz Vienna
3.5 oz red wheat
2 oz 2-row
2 oz CaraPils

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME (@ 20 min)
4 oz table sugar (@ 20 min)

Hops:
14 g LemonDrop (AA: 4.4%, @ 20 min)
1.5 oz LemonDrop (10 min hop stand @ flameout)
14 g LemonDrop (dry hop)

Yeast: Danstar Belle Saison + 1/2 vial Clarity Firm

Addendum, 30 Sept: Dry hopped today, with 14 g LemonDrop hops.

Addendum, 5 Oct: Bottled today with 1 oz table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c. boiling water.  I got 8 good bottles and one partial fill out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment