Sunday, July 23, 2017

More Medusa

My first run at a Medusa IPA turned out pretty well, and now that I'm getting a bit more settled in our new digs, I figured it was about time to start resurrecting some of the fruit-forward IPAs I've enjoyed brewing and drinking.  I have a good bit of Medusa hops available, so I thought I'd try something a bit different, adding more hops at FWH in order to see the effect that has on the beer.

Brew Day: 23 July 2017

Partial Mash:
1 lb White Wheat malt
2 oz Briess Victory Malt
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 oz Medusa hops (FWH)
1 lb Pilsen DME (@ 20 min)
8 oz table sugar (@ 0 min)
1 oz Medusa hops, 10 min hop stand at flame-out

Yeast: Safale US-05 + 1/2 vial Clarity Firm

Addendum, 24 Jul: I checked in this morning to see how things were doing, and the picture to the right shows that in less than 24 hrs, fermentation was coming along nicely.  I'll likely be dry hopping this one about mid-week next week, and then bottling 2 to 3 days after that.

Addendum, 6 Aug: Dry hopped today, on 14 g Medusa hops.

Addendum, 8 Aug: Bottled tonight, got 7 regular bottles and 2 big bottles out of it.  Can't wait to try it!

Addendum, 22 Aug: Tried the first bottle tonight, and really enjoyed it!  The beer poured a hazy golden yellow, with a moderate head.  There was moderate fruitiness in the nose, but the flavor really opened up when I gave it a taste, fruity but not bitter.  There was moderate lacing in the glass through the entire time I was enjoying this one, even to the point where I completely emptied the glass.  I definitely enjoy this one, it's a big-time keeper!

Addendum, 6 Sept: Second bottle tonight.  Same color, although this time the bubbles were much smaller.  A nice, albeit small head, but good carbonation and some moderate lacing (Bell's Two Hearted is sort of the standard I go by...).  Very good flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment