Thursday, August 24, 2017

Brown Ale

Something I haven't tried before is a brown ale, and I thought that with the fall season coming, I'd give one a shot.  Or, two, as the case may be. Northern Brewer has a small batch oatmeal cookie brown ale recipe available that sounded interesting, so I ordered some supplies and started planning out my approach.

Also, a bit ago on Facebook, the fine folks at Fine Creek Brewing mentioned having brewed a sour brown ale that they were going to age in barrels for a while.  I've had a sour brown ale before...actually, I've had two, but I don't think that the second one was intended to be sour.  Just sayin'.  Anyway, it was pretty good, so I figured that since I have the supplies necessary, I'd give it a shot as well.

Brew Day: 24 Aug 2017

Partial Mash:
8 oz Munich malt
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz Belgian Special B
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz Carapils

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Golden Light DME
7 g Styrian Goldings hops (@ 20 min)
7 g Styrian Goldings hops (@ 0 min)
1/4 tsp cinnamon (@ 0 min)

Yeast: DanStar Nottingham Ale yeast

*I followed all of my usual processes for partial mashing, cooling the wort, and pitching the yeast.

Addendum, 6 Sept: Transferred to secondary.

Addendum, 15 Sept: Bottled today, with 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c. boiling water.  Got 9 good bottles and 2/3 partial fill out of it.  I'm looking forward to trying the partial fill in two weeks, as this is the first time I've tried a brown ale recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment