Friday, June 14, 2019

Sour Kveik

I was looking at social media the other day and saw that a brewery near my old stomping grounds had done a collab brew with a local (to me now) brewery, making a sour kveik.  I thought...wow.  That sounds pretty awesome!  I really like sour IPAs, and I had a few good ones during a recent visit to Scott's Addition.  I also learned that I do not like sours with lactose added, but to each his or her own, right?

I was preparing to do an IPA and I had purchased some GoodBelly Straight Shots in order to brew a watermelon sour later in the summer.  I'm still going to do the watermelon sour (I have about 14 oz of watermelon juice sitting in the freezer right now), but I thought I'd do my Nordic IPA again, as a sour.  I've got all of the ingredients already set up and ready to go, all I need to do is add the three days on a hot plate for the Straight Shots to do their thing, and I'm good.

Brew Day: 11 June 2019

Partial Mash:
8 oz 2-row
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb golden light DME
4 oz table sugar

Boil #2 (20 min):
*14 June 2019

Hops:
14 g Azacca (10.4%) - @ 20 min
14 g Mosaic + 14 g Huell Melon - 10 min whirlpool/flameout
14 g Cashmere - dry hop

YeastOmega OYL061 Voss Kveik

Addendum, 16 Jun: Dry hopped today.

Addendum, 20 Jun: Bottled; got 8 good bottles and one re-purposed soda bottle.

Addendum, 3 Jul: Put the soda bottle in the fridge to chill it, and much like the non-sour version of this beer, it was clearly over-carbonated.

No comments:

Post a Comment