Thursday, November 7, 2019

JOVARU Wit

I was preparing for a trip to my local home brew supply store not too long ago, and I ran across an Omega Labs yeast called OYL-033 Jovaru Lithuanian Farmhouse.  This sounded very interesting, in no small part due to the fact that a friend of mine spent a great deal of time in Lithuania.  When I got to the store, I asked about the yeast and they said that they'd order some for me.  A couple of days later, I got an email saying that yeast was in.  Fortunately, Omega Labs also has a recipe for a Jovaru Wit beer, and it sounded too good to pass up.

Brew Day: 7 Nov 2019

Partial Mash:
8 oz 2-row malt
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
7 g Hallertau Blanc (@ 20 min)
7 g Hallertau Blanc (@ 5 min)
2 g dried sweet orange peel (@ 5 min)
2 g crushed coriander seeds (@ 5 min)

Yeast: Jovaru Lithuanian Farmhouse

I followed all of my usual procedures for cooling the wort and pitching the yeast, and placed the fermenter on a warming plate, wrapped in a towel.

Addendum, 19 Nov: Transferred to secondary.

Addendum, 24 Nov: Bottled tonight; got 8 good bottles and 1 re-purposed soda bottle.  Used just shy of 2 T sugar, rather than a full ounce (~ 2 1/2 T), as the beers have been a little over-carbonated of late.

Addendum, 10 Dec: Tried one of the bottles tonight.  After the initial pour, I got a note of citrus in the nose, and the beer poured with a big, pillowy head that dissipated quickly.  The beer is medium body, with a hint of citrus and pepper.  Very nice flavor, very drinkable beer, and definitely one I'll do again.

No comments:

Post a Comment