Wednesday, December 14, 2016

What comes around, gose round

Not long ago, I was in the car listening to the HairNation channel on SiriusXM.  Having grown up (gone to high school and college) in the '80s, I have a musical preference for hair bands; Van Halen (NOT "Van Hagar"...well, maybe some...), that sort of thing.  Well, Ratt came on, and out of nowhere I got a great idea for the name of a sour beer..."What comes around, gose 'round".

Besides the reference to an iconic hair band, as well as to the sour beer, the name of the beer has a third meaning...after all, it was the very generous guys (well, Jake, specifically...) up at Crooked Run Brewing who provided the input and insight as to how to make a sour beer at the scale at which I'm brewing.

Initial Brew Day: 14 Dec 2016

Partial Mash:
1 lb white wheat malt
4 oz rye malt
1.5 oz flaked wheat

Boil #1 (20 min): 14 Dec 2016
1 lb Pilsen DME

Early in the day, I started the heating mat warming, and took the remaining 2 GoodBelly Straight Shots out of the refrigerator.  I followed all of my usual processes (partial mashing, cooling the wort), and once the wort had cooled to approx. 90 deg F, I transferred it to a glass fermentor and added the Straight Shots.  Once this step was complete, I placed a blow-off tube in the top of the fermentor (not really necessary, no krausen forms...I just don't a solid cap for the fermentor) and placed it on the heating mat, wrapped in a towel (to keep light out).

Boil #2 (20 min): 16 Dec 2016
0.75 oz sea salt (0 min)
0.50 oz ground roasted Coriander (0 min)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Addendum, 31 Dec: Bottled this morning (usual method); got 9 full bottles and 1 partial (about 80%) fill.

No comments:

Post a Comment