Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Another Medusa IPA

I know, I know...I just made a Medusa IPA, but I have to tell you, the first one turned out really well, and the second one is very likely going to be a bit more malty that I prefer - I'll find out Fri (or afterward), but the second Summer IPA I made, using the same malt base, was that way.

For the Medusa and Summer IPAs, I think that the hop schedule is pretty good, but these beers really need a lighter malt, so that the flavor of the hops comes through; even a little maltiness, even using just 8 oz of Gambrinus Honey malt in the partial mash, can run roughshod over the flavor of the hops.

Brew Day: 10 Jan 2017

Partial Mash:
1 lb Vienna malt
1.5 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

14 g Medusa hops (FWH)
1.5 oz Medusa hops (flameout)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Dry hop: 14 g Medusa hops

Addendum, 23 Jan: Dry hopped today with 1 oz of Medusa hops; I upped the amount because that's what I had left.  

Addendum, 25 Jan: Bottled today, with just under an ounce of turbinado sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup of boiling water.  Got 9 good bottles out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment