Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Ginger Saison, re-deux

Yes, I know...I do make a good bit of "ginger saison" but this has to do with part of what I really like about homebrewing, and that's being able to try different things.  This time around, I wanted to try something a little different, and try adding a "tea" of ginger to the clean fermenter just prior to bottling.  In essence, the idea would be to boil some water with thinly sliced fresh ginger in it, add 1 oz of table sugar to the "tea" for priming, and then add this to the fermenter before the beer is racked onto it, to rest for about 15-20 min before bottling.

Brew Day: 24 Oct 2017

Partial Mash:
8 oz 2-row
4.5 oz rye
4 oz Carared
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar
7 g Centennial hops (@ 20 min)

Yeast: DanStar Belle Saison

Addendum, 5 Nov: Racked to secondary

Addendum, 15 Nov: Bottled tonight, with 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in boiling water.  I added several slices of fresh ginger to the water prior to boiling, making a tea from the fresh ginger, and used that for the bottling.  Got 10 bottles.  I need to keep one of my previous ginger saisons and do a side-by-side comparison.



No comments:

Post a Comment