Saturday, June 23, 2018

Zythos IPA

I was at my local homebrew supply shop the other day, picking up some supplies for some upcoming brews, and I ran across Zythos hops.  I had been researching hops earlier that would impart pineapple, and had been looking for Denali hops for possible inclusion in a sour IPA with watermelon, but I had also read about Zythos.  So, I picked up 2 oz of the hops, and decided to give it a shot.

Brew Day: 23 Jun 2018

Partial Mash:
12 oz Munich I
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops: Zythos AA: 9.2%   Beta: 5.2%
7 g Zythos (FWH)
21 g Zythos (whirlpool, 20 min)
14 g Zythos (whirlpool, 10 min)
14 g Zythos (dry hop)

Yeast: US-05

I followed all of my usual procedures for the boil, cooling, and pitching the yeast.

Addendum, 4 July: Dry hopped on 14 g Zythos hops.

Addendum, 9 July: Bottled today, on 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 cup boiling water.  Got 6 good bottles, and 2 re-purposed soda bottles out of it.

Tasting Notes, 19 Aug: Beer pours easily with a soft, pillowy head, without becoming too much.  Mild lacing all the way down the glass, throughout the time enjoying the beer.  Faint sweet fruit in the nose, with an up-front fruitiness, followed by a mild resin on the back.  Very enjoyable beer.  Color and flavor puts it up there with a Bell's Two-Hearted, but with less bitterness.

No comments:

Post a Comment