Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Fruit-forward IPA

I'm a fan of fruit-forward IPAs, and recently ran across the Omega Horindahl Kveik yeast.  Given the description, I thought I'd give it a shot, so I set the yeast out ahead of time to warm up to room temperature, shaking it repeatedly.  I also set the warming plate up ahead of time so that it would be up to temperature for when I placed the fermenter on it.

Brew Day: 3 Sept 2019

Partial Mash:
8 oz 2-row
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Golden Light DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
14 g Galaxy (FWH)
1 oz Julius (10 min whirlpool)
14 g Galaxy (dry hop)

Yeast: Omega Hornidal Kveik

Following the boil, I cooled the wort, pitched the yeast and placed the fermenter on a warming plate, wrapped in a towel.

Addendum, 4 Sept: Checked on the beer this morning, it appears that fermentation really took off overnight!

Addendum, 15 Sept: Placed in secondary; I'm traveling, and won't be able to do anything with the beer until later in the week.  As such, I racked it to secondary, and I'll dry hop it when I return.

Addendum, 23 Sept: Dry hopped today.

Addendum, 26 Sept: Bottled; 8 bottles, 1 re-purposed soda bottle.

Addendum, 14 Oct: Opened the soda bottle tonight.  Beer is a golden straw color, pours with a full head of medium bubbles that slowly dissipates.  Citrus in the nose.  Medium body, the beer has a big, sweet fruit-forward flavor with more than a bit of citrus. Big flavor, with little, if any, bitterness.

No comments:

Post a Comment