Friday, September 13, 2019

Yet Another Leftover IPA

Maybe I should call this one "Semper FIPA", as like the Marines, it has contributions from all over, and ultimately comes together to make a pretty darned good IPA.

Contributions
Both of the following wort contributions are pretty close to the same, with the Ginger Belgian having the ginger addition during the boil:
Ginger Belgian
Tangerine Wheat

I also used:
Fruit-forward IPA with Galaxy and Julius hops
Fruity sour IPA (small contribution)

Brew Day: 13 Sept 2019

Boil (20 min)

Hops:
14 g U1/108 Experimental (FWH)
14 g Huell Melon + 14 g Azacca (10 min whirlpool)

Yeast: US-05

Addendum, 15 Sept: I'm thinking that something is amiss with the concoction, as it hasn't started bubbling yet, as if the yeast hasn't kicked off.  I followed all of my usual processes and procedures, from cooling, to aerating, and pitching the yeast.  All I can think of is that maybe I got some old yeast.  Later in the week, I'll have to figure out if I want to try pitching more yeast or just ditching the beer all together.

Addendum, 19 Sept: I had to travel for work this week, and left on 15 Sept.  The yeast hadn't kicked off before I left, but it clearly had done something by the time I checked this morning.  There was no activity this morning, but there were clear indications of something happening while I was gone.  I may rack the beer into secondary here very shortly, just to get it off of the left-over hops material in the fermenter.

Addendum, 20 Sept: Transferred the beer to secondary today, in large part to get it off of the hop debris it's been sitting on.  The beer was yellow-straw in color, and very hazy.  I was pretty interested to see that while there had clearly been some fermentation action, there was not a great deal of material in the blow-off bottle.  It will be interesting to see how this one turns out.

Addendum, 21 Oct: Bottled tonight; got 9 good bottles, and about 1/2 of a re-purposed soda bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment