Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Brewer's Gold IPA

It's been a while since I've used Brewer's Gold hops, and the first time I tried them, the IPA turned out REALLY well.  The hop is said to impart berry and dark currant flavors and I really got a lot of berry from that first batch.  This time around, I'm going to take the opportunity to see if I can get a good combination of malts to get more of a red color in the malt, something I'm testing out for future brews.

This is another brew day where we had a good bit of snow, enough that I was able to use snow right off of my deck for the ice bath for cooling the wort.

Brew Day: 17 Jan 2018

Partial Mash:
1 lb 2-row
2 oz flaked wheat
2 oz Caramunich
14 g chocolate malt

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
14 oz Brewer's Gold (FWH)
1 oz Brewer's Gold (@ flame out, 10 min whirlpool)

The hops are BrewCraft US Brewer's Gold, Alpha: 10.5%, Beta: 5.1%

Yeast: US-05

Followed all of my usual procedures.

Addendum, 26 Jan: Dry hopped, on 14 oz of Brewer's Gold hops.

Addendum, 29 Jan: Bottled tonight; got 6 regular bottles, 2 re-purposed soda bottles, and 1 partial fill on a soda bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment