Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Belgian

I recently read about a new dry yeast available, BE-134, and wanted to give it a shot.  My wife likes Belgian style beers a bit more than I do, and I like to make her beer that she likes.  This particular yeast seems to have some really good characteristics, and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Brew Day: 31 Jan 2018

Partial Mash:
1.5 lb Munich malt
2 oz Carapils

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops: 14 g German Perle (@ 20 min)

Yeast: BE-134

I followed all of usual procedures in prep, boil, cooling the wort, and pitching the yeast.

Addendum, 7 Feb: Transferred to secondary today; due to my schedule, this is going to sit for just over a month before I do anything more with it.

Addendum, 28 Mar: Bottled today, on 2 1/2 T of sugar dissolved in 1/2 c of boiling water.  Got 9 good bottles out of it.  During bottling, this one smelled as if it might be pretty close to the Belgians that Terri likes!  Can't wait to see what this one tastes like!

Addendum, 20 Jun: Finally, after a couple of months, my wife stopped reaching for her Leffe's in the fridge and grabbed one of these, and she was glad she did!  Her first comment, after her first sip, was how much this one tasted like a Leffe!  Later in the evening, she wanted another beer, but only a half pour, so I split a bottle with her, and I have to say, this one is very close to a Leffe.

No comments:

Post a Comment