Saturday, January 6, 2018

Medusa IPA

Medusa hops are one of my favorite hops for straight New England style IPAs, and I've still got some hops available, enough in fact to do a 2-stage dry hop IPA.  I had a couple of ounces of different malts available, and thought that this would be a good opportunity to use 'em up.

This is a couple of the things I really love about home brewing...not only can I try new things and discovery things I like that aren't commercially available, but I can also make and enjoy them whenever I like!

Brew Day: 6 Jan 2018

Partial Mash:
8.5 oz 2-row malt
7.5 oz Munich malt
2.5 oz Victory
2 oz flaked wheat

*Heat 3 qts water to 160 deg F, put in thermos container and add above grains in a bag.  Let sit for 75 min.  Heat 2.5 qt water in a stove-top kettle to about 170 deg F, and at the end of the 75 min, remove the bag of grain from the thermos container, draining it, and move it to the kettle.  Let it sit for about 10 min, remove it, add the wort from the thermos, and begin heating the wort to boiling.

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
13  g Medusa hops (AA 3.0%, FWH)
1 oz Medusa Hops (AA 3.0%, 10 min @ flameout)

Yeast: Safale US-05

Given the recent temperatures around our parts, I opted to use snow off our deck instead of running out for a 10 lb bag of ice in order to cool the wort.  Worked great.

Addendum, 18 Jan: Dry hop #1, racked the beer on to 14 g of Medusa hops

Addendum, 21 Jan: Dry hop #1, racked the beer on to 14 g of Medusa hops

Addendum, 26 Jan: Bottled; got 6 good 12 oz bottles, and two re-purposed soda bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment