Saturday, July 28, 2018

Wai-iti IPA

Not long ago, I was at my local home brew supply shop and found some Zythos hops for an IPA.  I was interested in some hops that would impart fruit, specifically pineapple, and had gone to the shop looking for Denali hops.  While I was there, Arthur latched on to my thoughts regarding a hop variety that would provide something akin to pineapple (or another sweet fruit), and came up another hop variety called Wai-iti. I liked the description enough to go ahead and get some on the spot, and I finally found the time to put together an IPA.

Wai-iti Hops:
Band of BrewTuber's review
MoreBeer description
Hopslist description

Brew Day: 28 Jul 2018

Partial Mash:
12 oz Munich
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
7 g Wai-iti hops (FWH)
14 g Wai-iti hops (20 min steep, @ flameout)
21 g Wai-iti hops (10 min steep, 10 min after flameout)
14 g Wai-iti hops (dry hop)

Yeast: US-05

I followed all of my usual procedures.

Addendum, 7 Aug: Dry-hopped the beer today; got some very fruity aromas during the transfer on to the hops, and the beer was hazy.

Addendum, 9 Aug: Bottled tonight, on 1 T of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c boiling water.  Got 6 good bottles and two 22 oz flip top bottles.

Tasting Notes, 10 Sept: Opened a bottle tonight that I'd filled all the way up to the top; usually when filling bottles, there's some room left when I remove the racking crane, but with this bottle, I'd let some of the remaining beer trickle into the bottle, filling it up all the way.  As such, there was no head space in the bottle, and the beer was well carbonated.  The beer poured with a pillowy, white head, and the beer itself was a golden color.  There's a definite aroma of sweet fruits in the nose, as well as on the palette.  There was definitely a dearth of any bitterness at all, and no pine resin (as with the Zythos IPA).  This is a very juicy IPA, although I'm not getting a definite impression of any one particular fruit (pineapple, mango, guava, etc.).  Very good, very drinkable beer.

I had an opportunity to enjoy the Tangerine Technique Pale Ale at Kindred Spirit Brewing this past weekend, and the Wai-iti IPA has a bit more body, and a bit more flavor, as well.

As I was enjoying this beer, I noticed some definite lacing going on along the glass; not as much as, say, a Bell's Two Hearted, but very definite lacing.

Good gravy, but I do enjoy a juicy IPA!  Why go bitter if you don't have to?

No comments:

Post a Comment