Friday, September 7, 2018

Sour Beer

With the fall coming and the stores all overwhelmed with pumpkin ales and fall beers for Oktoberfest, I felt that I needed to start preparing some sour beers for the fall season.  One of the great things about homebrewing is that I can have what I want, when I want it!

Brew Day #1: 4 Sept 2018

Partial Mash:
14 oz Munich
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil #1 (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

After the boil, chill the wort to 80 - 90 deg F, and add to a sanitized fermenter, on (2) Good Belly Straight Shots.  Place an air lock in the fermenter cap, and place on a warming plate, wrapped in a towel.

Brew Day #2: 7 Sept

Boil #2 (20 min):

Hops:
FWH: 14 g Jarrylo (AA: 14.2%)
Flame out #1 (20 min): 6 g Jarrylo, 10 g Mosaic (10.8%), 10 g Citra (13.3%)
Flame out #2 (10 min): 6 g Jarrylo, 10 g Mosaic, 10 g Citra
Dry hop: 7 g Mosaic, 7 g Citra

Yeast: US-05

As soon as I took the wort off of the burner, I added the first flame out hop addition, and then added the second 10 min later.  At the 20 min mark, I put the wort in an ice bath to cool it to about 80 deg F, and pitched the yeast.  I then inserted a blow-off tube in the fermenter cap, and put the beer in the basement bathroom.

Addendum, 18 Sept: Dry-hopped the beer this evening.

Addendum, 21 Sept: Bottled; got 7 good bottles, one partial fill, and on repurposed Mountain Dew bottle.  This beer smelled very fruity during the bottling.

Addendum, 7 Oct: Opened the soda bottle tonight.  The beer poured with a hazy golden color, typical of the sours I've made.  There was mild carbonation and no head, also inline with sours.  The beer was mildly tart, and had a hint of fruitiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment