Thursday, September 27, 2018

Cashmere IPA

I received an ad from an online home brew supply store, and it mentioned having  a blonde ale available made with Cashmere hops.  I did some research on this one, and found sites like DraftMag that had descriptions of what this hop has to offer, and immediately thought to myself that I would LOVE to try this in an IPA, as well as a sour IPA.  The description at BSG has some very interesting notes...I'd really like to see how 'secondary notes of coconut' smells and tastes.

I did a search on Amazon and found an 8oz bag of the hops that would set me back less than purchasing 4oz from the online store, and they showed up the other day.  I can't wait to try them out in a beer, and to get a good whiff of the hops themselves.

One description suggests that this hop would do really well alongside Mosaic, and based on my recent experience, I couldn't agree more.

Brew Day: 27 Sept 2018

Partial Mash:
12 oz Munich
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
14 g Cashmere hops (FWH)
21 g Cashmere hops (@flameout, 20 min)
21 g Cashmere hops (10 min after @flameout, 10 min)
14 g Cashmere hops (dry hop)

Yeast: US-05

Addendum, 7 Oct: Dry hopped on 14 g of Cashmere hops.

Addendum, 11 Oct: Bottled on 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c boiling water.  Got 8 good bottles and one partially filled re-purposed Dr Pepper bottle.

Addendum, 26 Oct: Opened the re-purpose soda bottle tonight.  Beer poured with a golden brown color, good carbonation and a moderate, pillowy white head.  Consistent lacing throughout the glass, similar to a Bell's Two-Hearted.  Nothing specific jumped out in the aroma, but the palette was different; there was sweetness followed by a creamy mouth-feel reminiscent of coconut.  Very enjoyable IPA; body is a bit heavier than I'd want for a summertime beer, but overall, a very good drinking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment