Sunday, September 16, 2018

YAB (Yet Another Belgian)

The last Belgian turned out pretty well, and it's a very good beer that I like to keep on-hand.  So, having some of the yeast that really makes this one turn out quite nice, I brewed up another batch on a rainy Sunday.

Brew Day: 16 Sept 2018

Partial Mash:
12 oz Munich
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
8 oz table sugar

Hops - 14 g German Hersbrucker (at the beginning of the boil)

Yeast - BE-134

*I followed all of my usual procedures.

Addendum, 23 Sept: Completely spontaneous dry hop onto 14 g of Cashmere hops today.

Addendum, 27 Sept: Racked the beer to secondary.

Addendum, 28 Oct: Bottled tonight; got 8 good bottles and one partial fill.

Addendum, 11 Nov: Taste test.  Terri tried it without me telling her what the beer was; she guessed that it was a Belgian but also said that there was a smoothness to it, as well.  I told her that I'd dry hopped the beer with the cashmere hops, and that the hops was described as imparting "coconut".  With the IPA, I'd gotten that not as a straight coconut flavor, but more an impression, based on mouthfeel; there was a slight sweetness and a smoothness that I'd associate with coconut milk. I tried it, as well, and found that I really enjoyed it.  This may be "the new thing"...dry hopping a "normal" beer to impart a little something different.  Some options might be Huell Melon, for a hint of strawberry, in a Belgian or a hefeweizen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment