Saturday, January 26, 2019

Ginger Belgian

My wife enjoyed the ginger saison, and she enjoys the hopped Belgians, so I thought I'd try a ginger Belgian.

Brew Day: 26 Jan 2019

Partial Mash:
8 oz Munich
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
6 oz table sugar

Hops: 14 g Styrian Goldings (@ 0 min)

Addition: 1 oz fresh, thin-sliced ginger, in a hop bag (@ 10 min)

Yeast: BE-134

Addendum, 5 Feb: Moved to secondary.

Addendum, 6 Mar: Bottled; got 9 good bottles out of it.

Addendum, 23 Mar: Tried one of these last night; Terri's reaction was that this is THE BEST one I've done so far!  I don't usually pick up banana in hefeweizens; that's something Terri gets, but we both got aroma of banana from this one (yes, I know...it's not a hefe), and I got a little bit of sweetness in the flavor, as well.  The sweetness was just a bit more than subtle, strong enough to overwhelm most of what would have come through from the ginger.  I did pick up a little of the ginger on the back, but Terri's reaction was the key!

No comments:

Post a Comment