Sunday, January 6, 2019

Fun IPA

I had about a quart of hopped wort left over from the N1/69 IPA that I brewed, and I didn't want it to go to waste.  I had put it into a sanitized bomber and it's been in the fridge, just waiting to be used. I have some Mosaic, Medusa, and Citra hops still available, and I thought it would be a good opportunity to use up some ingredients and make a "fun" IPA.  This is like making a left-over casserole for dinner, using up what you've got sitting around to make room for new stuff.

This may end up being a new "thing" for 2019...saving what's left in the brew kettle after the fermenter if full and the yeast has been pitched.  I do end up with different amounts left; if I'm brewing a NE-style IPA, I tend to add a little more water initially because some tends to boil off, as well as be absorbed by the hopping that occurs at flameout.

When I brew a sour, I usually have at least one (maybe two) Gatorade bottle of wort left over after I rack the wort on to the StraightShots.  I save that wort, and add it back to the brew kettle for the second boil; again, some boils off, some gets absorbed by the hops if I'm brewing an IPA, etc.  Even then, I may still have a small amount of wort left over.  What I will be doing in 2019 is collect these left-overs until I get to a point where I have enough left-overs to make an interesting brew.

Brew Day: 6 Jan 2019

Boil (20 min):
 4 c. previously hopped wort
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
*whatever N1/69 hops is in the previously-hopped wort
7 g German Huell Melon + 7 g Brewer's Gold      - FWH
14 g German Huell Melon + 14 g Brewer's Gold  - 10 min steep, flameout
7 g German Huell Melon + 7 g Brewer's Gold      - dry hop

Yeast: US-05

Addendum, 20 Jan: Dry hopped beer this morning.

Addendum, 22 Jan: Bottled tonight, on 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c boiling water.  Got 8 good bottles and one full re-purposed Mountain Dew bottle.

No comments:

Post a Comment