Sunday, January 13, 2019

Something Else New

While researching new and experimental hops a while back, I ran across one called U1/108, which seemed quite interesting.  This dual-purpose hop from South Africa is described as imparting aromas of "lychee, mango, guava, citrus, lemongrass, stone fruit, coconut".  Okay, good enough for me! Being a huge fan of fruit-forward NE style IPAs, I had to try this one.

One note of caution, however.  I ordered three 1 oz bags of this hops from the supplier, and two of the bags had opened in transit, so the shipping envelope arrived with a lot of loose hop pellets and debris inside the bag.  To their credit, the supplier immediately comp'd me two new bags, but once those arrived, one of them was similarly opened.  What I mean is that the seal at the lower part of the bag had separated; the bag hadn't ruptured, but it appeared that it had separated along where the two sides of the bag were heat-sealed together.  This was an entirely new type of packaging, something that I hadn't seen before.  I opted to not get a second reshipment, and the supplier comp'd me a gift card that was multiples of the value of the hops.

Brew Day: 13 Jan 2019

Partial Mash:
8 oz 2-row
2 oz flaked wheat

Boil (20 min):
1 lb Pilsen DME
4 oz table sugar

Hops:
14 g U1/108 (FWH)
1 oz U1/108  (flameout)
14 g U1/108  (dry hop)

Yeast: US-05

After transferring the wort to a fermenter and pitching the yeast, I had about two cups of hopped wort left over, a good bit of hop sludge.  I put that into a sanitized growler, and I'll keep collecting this as I brew various beers, until I get enough together to boil and pitch yeast into.

Addendum, 22 Jan: Dry hopped tonight.

Addendum, 27 Jan: Bottled today on 1 oz of table sugar dissolved in 1/2 c boiling water.  Got 9 good bottles and one re-purposed 8.5 oz bottle out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment